When stepping out of the cosy, and safe space of your home is not an option anymore, dreams of exploring the world brew up within you. Add in a drizzle of virtual travel and a splattering of gourmet food, and you’ve got what we call #TNLTasteOfTheWorld. Throughout the series, we’ll be getting in touch with chefs from around the world to recreate their signature dishes for you to try at home. After all, who said one needs to leave the house to embark on a culinary trail? Recipe by Chef Satbir Bakshi
View this post on Instagram
Mumbai is unabashedly a melting pot of cultures and cuisines. Ever since its discovery by foreign settlers, the mega port city has seen global flavours seep into its taste palettes, all while bringing in the signature Bombaiyya style to it. This amalgamation of flavours and splashes of luxury resides in The Oberoi, Mumbai, of which Chef Satbir Bakshi is the Executive Chef. He has spearheaded the luxury hotel’s kitchens since 2014, and since then he has overhauled the restaurants – Fenix, Ziya, Vetro and Enoteca, The Eau Bar, and the Oberoi Patisserie & Delicatessen – to bring the distinct Oberoi flavour. Whether its modern Indian, Italian, Japanese sushi or pan Asian delicacies, Chef Bakshi transforms local produce into dishes pulsating with a global soul.
In this episode of #TnlTasteOfTheWorld, Chef Bakshi guides us through the recipe of a global breakfast dish, but with a twist of his own – Egg Cloud with Spinach and Mushrooms.
- 10 grams chopped onions
- 10 grams sliced mushrooms
- 20 grams blanched green peas
- 150 grams of spinach
- 3 eggs
- 5-6 cloves of chopped garlic
- 15-millilitre olive oil
- 5-millilitre vinegar
- 5 grams crushed black pepper
- 2 grams nutmeg
- Salt to taste
For the Spinach
- Heat a few teaspoons of olive oil in a pan, and add garlic and onion to it. Sauté well.
- Roughly chop the spinach, and add to the pan. Sauté again.
- Add salt, crushed pepper, and nutmeg.
- Let it cool. Then puree the spinach with some water till it reaches a thin sauce-like consistency.
For the Mushrooms
- Heat a few teaspoons of the olive oil in a pan, and sauté sliced mushrooms in it.
- Add some blanched green peas and sauté.
- Season with salt and crushed black pepper, and sauté.
- In a pot, add some water, salt, and vinegar.
- While the water boils, separate the egg whites in a bowl.
- Beat the egg whites using a whisk or a beater till small peaks are formed.
- Add shredded spinach, salt and crushed pepper and gently fold it through.
- Quenelle the egg white mixture, and gently place it in the water. Ensure the pot’s temperature has been lowered to medium heat before doing so.
- Gently poach the egg white quenelles on both sides.
- Reheat the puréed spinach and place it on the bottom on a slightly deep dish.
- Place the poached egg cloud over the spinach.
- Next, heat the mushroom and green peas mixture in a pan and place over the egg cloud and spinach.
- Season with cracked pepper and a drizzle of olive oil to complete the dish.