When stepping out of the cosy, and safe space of your home is not an option anymore, dreams of exploring the world brew up within you. Add in a drizzle of virtual travel and a splattering of gourmet food, and you’ve got what we call #TNLTasteOfTheWorld. Throughout the series, we’ll be getting in touch with chefs from around the world to recreate their signature dishes for you to try at home. After all, who said one needs to leave the house to embark on a culinary trail? Recipe by Chef Christiaan Stoop
View this post on Instagram
#TnlTasteOfTheWorld For this video of #TnlTasteOfTheWorld, we have Chef Christiaan Stoop (@christiaan.stoop ) with us, who cooks Tortilla de patatas – a dish inspired from Barcelona. #TNLTasteOfTheWorld is a new video series wherein celebrity chefs and food bloggers from around the globe share signature dishes from their home kitchens that give you a ‘taste’ of your favourite destinations. Stay tuned as we take you on a culinary journey like no other! #TnlIndia #LetItPass #SomeGoodNews #CoronaBeGone
Being born to Dutch parents, and having lived in Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, and India — means infusing global flavours and experiences seamlessly into each meticulously crafted dish. Pair this with an inquisitive mind that began its gastronomic adventure at a young age by flipping through cookbooks, and you get the lovely culinary delicacies of Chef Christiaan Stoop. Whether it’s delving into Mediterranean flavours during his stint at Restaurant Esszimmer in Munich, giving guests a taste of his Catalan roots at La Castanya in Spain, whipping multi-sensory 14-course menus at Chef Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck, or until recently enthralling guests at Threesixty° – the main dining restaurant at The Oberoi Hotel, New Delhi, Stoop has tried it all. Now, he adds #TNLTasteOfTheWorld to his long repertoire of food journeys.
For this episode, Chef Stoop teaches us how to make Tortilla de Patatas –– a dish he learnt while working in Barcelona, and while learning the workings of traditional Catalan kitchens. When you can’t make it out of the house, a bite of this fluffy omelette is all you need to virtually transport to the streets of Madrid.
Tortilla de Patatas
- 4 Potatoes
- 5 Eggs
- 1 Onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Parma Ham
- Lemon Juice
- Rock Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice the onion, and cut the potatoes.
- Take a pan, add extra virgin olive oil in it on high heat.
- Add the chopped onions and potatoes and cook for 10 minutes till onions get caramelised.
- Next, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once cooked, strain the oil from the vegetables.
- Take the eggs, and break them in a bowl. Add the cooked vegetables to this mixture and mix gently with a fork. Leave this mixture aside for 10 minutes.
- Next, in a heated pan, add olive oil on all sides and add the mixture to it.
Cook for three minutes.
- Now, flip the tortilla and let it cook.
- Once cooked, flip the tortilla on a paper towel to wipe the excess oil, and transfer to a plate.
- For the salad, toss radish, lettuce, rock salt, pepper, and lemon juice with olive oil. Serve along with tortilla.
- Garnish the dish with Parma ham.