Our guide to places your favourite celebrities love in the beautiful city of Cannes, on the French Riviera. By Shrimayee Thakur
One of the ‘Big Three’, the three most prestigious film festivals in the world, the Cannes 2019 edition has kicked off splendidly. Stars from across the globe attend the festival each year, to celebrate the best in film-making. The city of Cannes serves as the perfect location for a getaway for both stars and tourists all year round. Find out the best places preferred by celebrities.
Where to stay:
1. InterContinental Carlton Cannes, built in 1911, is famously the location for Grace Kelly’s first date with Prince Rainier, in the 1955 Film Festival. Overlooking the Bay of Cannes, it even has its own pier, offering a range of watersport activities for guests to enjoy.
2. Hotel du-Cap-Eden-Roc was built in 1870 as a private mansion, but continues to be a beautiful place to stay at. Some of the most famous celebrities to have stayed here are Tom Cruise, Sharon Stone, Madonna, Jude Law and John Travolta, among others.
3. Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez has one of the largest private beaches and has hosted celebrities like Scarlett Johansson, Eva Longoria and Diane Kruger.
Where to shop:
1. Promenade de la Croisette, stretching out over three kilometers, is where Palais des Festivals et des Congrès is located, which is where the Cannes Film Festival is held. However, La Croisette is also home to several upscale shopping destinations such as Chanel and Louis Vuitton, restaurants and hotels, such as Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez.
2. Rue d’Antibes has been called the Rodeo Drive of Cannes. Dotted with shops belonging to bonjour and Mont Blanc, this is also a favourite place for celebrity retail therapy.
Where to eat and drink:
View this post on Instagram
Dessert aux agrumes 🍊. Crème brûlée agrumes, crémeux citron, crumble citron vert, meringue italienne, meringue citron, tuile « ruche », zestes de citron confits et sorbet citron. . #agrumes #lemon #orange #pamplemousse #tasty #pastry #pastrychef #pastrylife #delicious #food #foodporn #foodstagram #foodie #foody #insta #instagram #instagood #instafood #gastronomy #restaurante #michelin #michelinstar #f4f #f4follow #lifestyle #likeforfollow #lapalmedor #yummy #yum @sinicropi_christian @chefstalk @martinezhotel
1. Seafood restaurant Tetou is one of the most famous restaurants in Cannes, with Jake Gyllenhaal, Charlize Theron and Angelina Jolie, among others, stopping over for meals. It is renowned for its bouillabaisse. Don’t forget to carry cash along as it does not accept cards.
2. Eden-Roc’s waterfront restaurant is also exquisite, having hosted stars like Leonardo DiCaprio.
3. Luxury restaurant, bar and club in Port Canto, Le Bâoli was the location for the Sea Of Trees after-party, with Naomi Watts, Sienna Miller and Camila Alves in attendance.
4. La Palme d’Or is a two-Michelin starred restaurant and is located in Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez. It is famous for dishes such as the grilled red mullet.
5. Le Moulin des Mougins is another Michelin starred restaurant, serving Provencal cuisine. Sharon Stone and Elton John have been spotted here.
Where to play:
1. Pierre Canto Marina, located on La Croisette, is an exclusive harbour frequented by celebrities. It can accommodate around 600 boats and offers a range of water sports and nautical activities. Amenities offered along with booking a berth here include dressing rooms, security, laundry service, travelift, gas station, WI-FI etc.
2. The Gotham Nightclub is a hotspot for celebrity parties during the Cannes Film Festival and has seen celebs like model Kendall Jenner, Paris Hilton and Cara Delevingne.
3. Relaxation is hard to come by in a place like Cannes, but celebrities opt for private boats, such as Eclipse, Roman Abramovich’s yacht. Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom have been spotted aboard.
4. Spa Diane Barrière is a great place to unwind, and offers personalised treatments to clients. It is associated with Biologique Recherche and LIGNE ST BARTH, two well-known wellness brands.