Grand or intimate, traditional or innovative, celebrity weddings always manage to hit that perfect note of glitzy glamour and elegant flair—be it an Italian wedding fiesta or a vibrant Punjabi wedding. Manvi Malhotra lists some insightful tips drawn from five famous weddings in India to help you plan your very own celebrity wedding.
Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma
Virat and Anushka remind us of that popular high-school couple, who would secretly meet in the alley behind the school, making sure nobody ever found out about them. The lovebirds did not so much as confirm their relationship before surprising us with the news of their wedding in Tuscany, Italy. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you must already have seen pictures and videos of their absolutely gorgeous wedding. And considering how perfect everything looked, the planning must have been quite remarkable. There is much to learn from this sensational destination wedding.
- Focus more on love and less on pomp and show When that first picture of Virat and Anushka exchanging garlands on the day of their wedding came out, it warmed our hearts; not because of the big, fancy setting, but because the couple’s smiles as they saw each other were precious, and their love seemed to radiate from the photograph.
2. Surround yourself with those who share your happiness Spend some time working on that all-important guest list, making sure you focus on and invite those who are close to you and will add to the warmth of the occasion. This is especially relevant for destination weddings. It’s the bonhomie of your nearest and dearest that marks a happy time.
3. Pick all or most of your bridal outfits from the same designer An important tip for all those brides struggling to put together their trousseau. It doesn’t matter whether you pick your lehenga from Sabyasachi or something from your favourite local store, it’s better to get all your bridal outfits from one place to avoid hassles with fittings and other things.
Sagarika Ghatge and Zaheer Khan
In a case of life imitating art, Sagarika found love in Indian cricketer Zaheer, much like her character did in her debut movie, Chak De! India. And when they married, we adored the way they celebrated their special day.
- Change the usual pattern to suit your needs While most couples follow a set order of mehendi, sangeet and then shaadi, Sagarika and Zaheer tweaked the ‘norm’. They had a simple registered wedding first, and then celebrated the other functions—they expressed their love their own way, instead of simply following the traditional path.
2. Stand out by using unusual colours for your outfits Sagarika chose the most unique colours for all her bridal outfits—a blush-pink sari for the cocktail, a sea-green lehenga for the mehendi, a grey lehenga for the sangeet, and a beige one for the reception. She looked like a complete vision in all her outfits, so kudos to her fashion sense!
Milind Soman and Ankita Konwar
In a special union, with their dear ones by their side, Milind and Ankita had the most fun-filled wedding in Alibaug.
- Love, not age, is what matters We are saying this once and for all, age difference in a marriage is just mind over matter—if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter. Milind and Ankita have a 27-year-age gap and are still happily married and much-in-love.
2. Quirky is the new sexy And the couple proved it at their wedding! Ankita’s bright-yellow, ankle-length lehenga, and Milind’s translucent dhoti kurta had us from the very go. It’s your special day, so pick an outfit that meets your style, without thinking about what people will say.
Sonam Kapoor and Anand Ahuja
A mention of this vivacious bride and calm groom is enough to inspire feelings of love, adoration, and warmth. She’s an actress and a fashionista; he’s an entrepreneur and a basketball player—talk about opposites attract! The couple decided to have a big, fat Punjabi wedding, and here are a few things we loved about their extravagantly colourful functions.
- Make sure you have fun at your wedding The entire Kapoor clan, including the bride, went into a frenzy at Sonam’s wedding. They ate, danced, and had a gala time, ensuring they made the most of each moment, and it was the most amazing thing to witness.
2. Don’t sacrifice your comfort for fashion Looking pretty is important, but so is being comfortable. Sonam changed into a nightsuit at her mehendi and wore a maxi dress to her reception so she could enjoy it just as much as the others. If she can do it, so can you!
3. Small gestures go a long way Sonam picked pretty, customised juttis as her mehendi giveaways. And the Kapoors arranged lunch for all the media waiting outside in the glaring sun while covering the wedding. A thoughtful gesture that touched everyone’s hearts.
Neha Dhupia & Angad Bedi
The rumours that the two were dating were still doing the rounds, when, out of nowhere, we got the sweet shock that Neha and Angad had gotten married. A picture of the two in a gurdwara at their Anand Karaj ceremony, looking deeply in love, took our breath away. And boy, what an attractive couple they make! Let’s see what we learnt from this surprising yet heart-warming wedding.
- Your wedding is about you, no one else There’s no need to make a noise about your wedding if you don’t want to. You don’t owe anybody an explanation about how you decide to get married. It’s your big day, and you should enjoy it the way you like.
2. Keep your look fresh and fuss-free Neha looked beautiful in her blush- pink lehenga, minimal makeup and jewellery, and classic-bun hairstyle—a clean look we dig for a summer bride.